Address: 1799 Paseo del Mar, San Pedro, CA
Did you know there was a beachfront hot springs resort below the bluffs of San Pedro?
In the early 1900’s a sulfur hot spring was discovered there by Japanese brothers Tojuro & Tamiji Tagami. Together with Ramon Sepulveda, they built a flourishing seaside escape with hotel, restaurant, gaming, bathhouse, saltwater pool, and more. The resort thrived during the 1920’s, especially among Japanese-Americans, newlyweds, and health enthusiasts, but closed in the late 1930’s due to a series of unfortunate events, including an earthquake, the Depression, and land rights. Several remnants still exist today and the location itself offers postcard-perfect picnicking, good surf, tide pools, and classic California, sun-kissed vibes.
Click Here to read a 1992 LA Times article on the site’s history.
While in the area, consider checking out Angels Gate Basketball Court, Korean Friendship Bell, Cabrillo Beach Jetty, Fort MacArthur Museum, Battleship USS Iowa Museum, San Pedro Fish Market, and Los Angeles Maritime Museum.
These photos were taken January 2021. Click to enlarge.